Windows Server 2008 R2 documentation covers information on how to install the operating system in a virtual machine. For additional information about the operating system, refer to the instructions included in the installation media.
Windows Server 2008 R2 documentation includes the following topics:
- Installation Instructions
- VMware Tools in a Windows Server 2008 R2 Guest
- Knowledge Base Articles for Windows Server 2008 R2
- VMware Compatibility Guide
You can install the Windows Server 2008 R2 in a virtual machine using the corresponding Windows Server 2008 R2 distribution CD.
Before you begin, verify that the following tasks are complete:
- Read General Installation Instructions for All VMware Products.
- Read the Microsoft System Requirements for the recommended storage and memory values.
- Create and configure a new virtual machine, with the appropriate virtual storage and virtual memory to support the intended workload.
- Insert the Windows Server 2008 R2 CD in the CD-ROM drive.
- Power on the virtual machine to start installing Windows Server 2008 R2.
- (Optional) If you are using VMware Paravirtual as the default SCSI controller, you can install Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit using the pvscsi-windows2008.flp driver.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Install VMware Tools.
VMware Tools in an Windows Server 2008 R2 Guest
For information on VMware Tools, see Knowledge base article 1014294, General VMware Tools installation instructions, at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014294.
Knowledge Base Articles for Windows Server 2008 R2
The following link refers to knowledge base articles on operating system specific issues. See VMware Knowledge Base for a list of known issues about the operating system.
VMware Compatibility Guide
The VMware Compatibility Guide Web site lists supported guest and host operating systems and provides related support information.