Windows 8 documentation covers information on how to install the operating system in a virtual machine. For additional information about the operating system, refer to the instructions included in the installation media.
Windows 8 documentation includes the following topics:
- Installation Instructions
- VMware Tools in a Window 8 Guest
- Knowledge Base Articles for Windows 8
- VMware Compatibility Guide
You can install Windows 8 in a virtual machine using the corresponding Windows 8 distribution CD.
Before you begin, verify that the following tasks are complete:
- Read General Installation Instructions for All VMware Products.
- Read the Microsoft System Requirements for the recommended storage and memory values.
- Create and configure a new virtual machine with the appropriate virtual storage and virtual memory to support the intended workload.
- Insert the Windows 8 CD or DVD in the CD-ROM drive.
- Turn on the virtual machine to begin installing Windows 8.
- (Optional) If you are using VMware Paravirtual as the default SCSI controller, you can install Windows 8 32-bit using the pvscsi-windows2003.flp driver and Windows 8 64-bit using the pvscsi-windows2008.flp driver.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Install VMware Tools.
- (Optional) On VMware Fusion, install Boot Camp drivers so that
the guest operating system can access hardware devices on the physical
Windows 8 32-bit supports only Boot Camp 3 drivers and Windows 8 64-bit requires Boot Camp drivers to be installed individually.
VMware Tools in an Windows 8 Guest
For information on VMware Tools, see Knowledge base article 1014294, General VMware Tools installation instructions, at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014294.
Knowledge Base Articles for Windows 8
The following links refer to knowledge base articles on operating system specific issues.
- See knowledge base article 2006859 at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006859 for more information on how to install and run Windows 8 on ESXi and ESX.
- The following link refers to knowledge base articles on operating system specific issues. See VMware Knowledge Base for a list of known issues about the operating system.
VMware Compatibility Guide
The VMware Compatibility Guide Web site lists supported guest and host operating systems and provides related support information.