Ubuntu 11.10 documentation covers information on how to install the operating system in a virtual machine. For additional information about the operating system, refer to the instructions included in the installation media.
Ubuntu 11.10 documentation includes the following topics:
- Installation Instructions
- Installing VMware Tools in an Ubuntu 11.10 Guest
- Knowledge Base Articles for Ubuntu 11.10
- VMware Compatibility Guide
The easiest method of installing Ubuntu 11.10 in a virtual machine is to use the standard Ubuntu distribution CD.
Before you begin, verify that the following tasks are complete:
- Read General Installation Instructions for All VMware Products.
- With many Linux guest operating systems, problems were observed when the BusLogic virtual SCSI adapter was used with VMware virtual machines. VMware recommends that you use the LSI Logic virtual SCSI adapter with this guest operating system.
- Insert the Ubuntu 11.10 CD in the CD-ROM drive.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Depending on whether you are using Ubuntu Desktop or Server version,
complete one of the following steps:
- On Ubuntu Desktop, click Install Ubuntu.
- On Ubuntu Server, select the language and select Install Ubuntu Server.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
As the installation progresses, the message Configuring apt/ Scanning the mirror appears indicating that the network is being scanned. If your site uses an HTTP proxy, this message might persist for 10 minutes or longer, indicating that the installation has been delayed. If you wait, network scanning eventually stops and the installation resumes.
- When the installation completes, in the Ubuntu 11.10 user interface, select System Settings > Network > Network Proxy to set the HTTP proxy in the Network Proxy Preferences dialog box.
- Install VMware Tools.
VMware Tools in an Ubuntu 11.10 Guest
For information on VMware Tools, see:
- Knowledge base article 1014294, General VMware Tools installation instructions, at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014294.
- Knowledge base article 1022525, Installing VMware Tools in an Ubuntu virtual machine 1022525, at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1022525
Knowledge Base Articles for Ubuntu 11.10
The following link refers to knowledge base articles on operating system specific issues. See VMware Knowledge Base for a list of known issues about the operating system.
VMware Compatibility Guide
The VMware Compatibility Guide Web site lists supported guest and host operating systems and provides related support information.