Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 documentation covers information on how to install the operating system in a virtual machine. For additional information about the operating system, refer to the instructions included in the installation media.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 documentation includes the following topics:
- Installation Instructions
- VMware Tools in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Guest
- Knowledge Base Articles for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- VMware Compatibility Guide
To install Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 in a virtual machine you can use either the standard RedHat distribution CD or the boot floppy/network method. The following installation instructions are for standard distribution CD.
Before you begin, verify that the following tasks are complete:
- Read General Installation Instructions for All VMware Products.
- Configure the virtual machine with at least 1GB of memory.
- When creating the virtual machine, select the LSI Logic SCSI adapter. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 does not include a driver for the BusLogic SCSI adapter, so do not attempt to use this HBA.
- Insert the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive.
- Power on the virtual machine to start installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- In Storage Devices screen, reinitialize the virtual machine.
You can safely ignore the following warning message "This device may need to be reinitialized. REINITIALIZING WILL CAUSE ALL DATA TO BE LOST!"
This does not mean that anything is wrong with the hard drive on your physical computer. The virtual hard drive in your virtual machine needs to be reinitialized.
- Click Re-initialize all to continue.
- Install VMware Tools.
VMware Tools in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Guest
VMware Tools operations are disabled on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 when you enable SELinux policy. See knowledge base article 1033693 at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1033693 for more information.
For information on VMware Tools, see Knowledge base article 1014294, General VMware Tools installation instructions, at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014294.
Knowledge Base Articles for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6The following links refer to knowledge base articles on operating system specific issues.
- See knowledge base article 1033654 at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1033654 for more information on network connection failure after rebooting Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
- See VMware Knowledge Base for a list of known issues about the operating system.
VMware Compatibility Guide
The VMware Compatibility Guide Web site lists supported guest and host operating systems and provides related support information.