Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 documentation covers information on how to install the operating system in a virtual machine. For additional information about the operating system, refer to the instructions included in the installation media.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 documentation includes the following topics:
- Installation Instructions
- Knowledge Base Articles for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
- VMware Compatibility Guide
To install Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 in a virtual machine you can use the standard Red Hat distribution CD or the boot floppy/network method. The following installation instructions are for standard distribution CD.
PrerequisitesBefore you begin, verify that the following tasks are complete:
- Read General Installation Instructions for All VMware Products.
- Configure the virtual machine with at least 512MB of memory. If the virtual machine has less than 512MB of memory, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 presents an error message as it loads certain VMware drivers.
- When creating the virtual machine, select the LSI Logic SCSI adapter. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 does not include a driver for the BusLogic SCSI adapter.
- Insert the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive.
- Power on the virtual machine to start installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Do not select Virtualization Option during the installation.
- In the Automatic Partitioning screen, allow automatic partitioning.
You might see a warning that begins "The partition table on device <devicename> was unreadable. To create new partitions it must be initialized, causing the loss of ALL DATA on the drive."
This does not mean that anything is wrong with the hard drive on your physical computer. The virtual hard drive in your virtual machine needs to be partitioned and formatted.
- Click Yes to partition the drive.
- Install VMware Tools.
Knowledge Base Articles for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5The following links refer to knowledge base articles on operating system specific issues.
- See knowledge base article 9134325 at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/9134325 for more information on Virtualization Option during installation.
- See the VMware knowledge base for a list of known issues about the operating system.