Mandrake Linux 10.x documentation covers information on how to install the operating system in a virtual machine. For additional information about the operating system, refer to the instructions included in the installation media.
Mandrake Linux 10.x documentation includes the following topics:
- Installation Instructions
- Knowledge Base Articles for Mandrake Linux 10.x
- VMware Compatibility Guide
To install Mandrake Linux 10 in a virtual machine you can use the standard Mandrake Linux distribution CD or the boot floppy/network method. The following installation instructions are for standard distribution CD.
PrerequisitesBefore you begin, verify that the following tasks are complete:
- Read General Installation Instructions for All VMware Products.
- Create and configure a new virtual machine.
- Consider these support and configuration issues for Mandrake Linux
- During the Mandrake Linux 10 installation, you are offered a choice of XFree86 X servers. You can select either one, but do not run the X server. Instead, to get an accelerated SVGA X server running inside the virtual machine, you should install the VMware Tools package immediately after installing Mandrake Linux 10.
- With many Linux guest operating systems, various problems have been observed when the BusLogic virtual SCSI adapter is used with VMware virtual machines. VMware recommends that you use the LSI Logic virtual SCSI adapter with this guest operating system.
- Insert the Mandrake Linux 10 CD in the CD-ROM drive.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Use the text mode installer.
- At the opening screen, press F1 for options.
- Enter text for text mode.
- When you are prompted to partition, unless you have special requirements, select Use free space.
- At the Summary screen, select Graphical Interface,
and then click Do to configure the graphical interface.
Make the following selections:
- The resolution and refresh rate you want your guest to use
- VMware virtual video card
- No when asked if you want to install updates to the packages
- No when asked if you want to start X when you reboot
Knowledge Base Articles for Mandrake Linux 10.xThe following link refers to knowledge base articles on operating system specific issues.
See VMware knowledge base for a list of known issues about the operating system.