FreeBSD 9.x documentation covers information on how to install the operating system in a virtual machine. For additional information about the operating system, refer to the instructions included in the installation media.
FreeBSD 9.x documentation includes the following topics:
- Installation Instructions
- VMware Tools in a FreeBSD 9.x Guest
- Knowledge Base Articles for FreeBSD 9.x
- VMware Compatibility Guide
You can install FreeBSD 9.x from a DVD or CDs.
Before you begin, verify that the following tasks are complete:
- Read General Installation Instructions for All VMware Products.
- Download the ISO images from the FreeBSD Web site.
- With many FreeBSD guest operating systems, various problems have been observed when the BusLogic virtual SCSI adapter is used with VMware virtual machines. VMware recommends that you use the LSI Logic virtual SCSI adapter (parallel) with this guest operating system.
- Insert the FreeBSD 9.x CD or DVD into the CD-ROM drive.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Install VMware Tools.
For additional installation instructions, see http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/bsdinstall.html.
VMware Tools in a FreeBSD 9.x Guest
For information on VMware Tools, see Knowledge base article 1014294, General VMware Tools installation instructions, at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014294.
Knowledge Base Articles for FreeBSD 9.x
The following link refers to knowledge base articles on operating system specific issues. See VMware Knowledge Base for a list of known issues about the operating system.
VMware Compatibility Guide
The VMware Compatibility Guide Web site lists supported guest and host operating systems and provides related support information.