Debian 5 documentation covers information on how to install the operating system in a virtual machine. For additional information about the operating system, refer to the instructions included in the installation media.
Debian 5 documentation includes the following topics:
- Installation Instructions
- VMware Tools in a Debian 5 Guest
- Knowledge Base Articles for Debian 5
- VMware Compatibility Guide
The easiest method of installing Debian 5 in a virtual machine is to use the standard Debian 5 distribution CD.
Before you begin, verify that the following tasks are complete:
- Read General Installation Instructions for All VMware Products.
- With many Linux guest operating systems, various problems have been observed when the BusLogic virtual SCSI adapter is used with VMware virtual machines. VMware recommends that you use the LSI Logic virtual SCSI adapter with this guest operating system.
- Insert the Debian 5 CD in the CD-ROM drive.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
As the installation progresses, the message Configuring apt/ Scanning the mirror appears indicating that the network is being scanned. If your site uses an HTTP proxy, this message might persist for 10 minutes or longer, indicating that the installation has been delayed. If you wait, network scanning eventually stops and the installation resumes.
- When the installation completes, in the Debian 5 user interface, select System > Preferences > Network Proxy to set the HTTP proxy in the Network Proxy Preferences dialog box.
- Install VMware Tools using the tar installer.
VMware Tools in an Debian 5 Guest
For information on VMware Tools, see Knowledge base article 1014294, General VMware Tools installation instructions, at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014294.
Knowledge Base Articles for Debian 5
The following link refers to knowledge base articles on operating system specific issues. See VMware Knowledge Base for a list of known issues about the operating system.
VMware Compatibility Guide
The VMware Compatibility Guide Web site lists supported guest and host operating systems and provides related support information.